I’ve been doing a lot of running around lately and haven’t had much time at home. Thankfully, my bucket reservoir system (see my previous post on Preparing Hop Boxes here) has been keeping the rootstock at a nice level of moisture – never too dry and never too flooded.
On May 18, the first shoots broke ground, all reddish-pink mini phalluses (phallusi?) poking through the top layer of peat moss almost obscenely:
A bit of time, and a nearly two-week road trip later, I returned home on June 18, to find some nice bines stretching out and rigged some short climbing lines out of some cheap twine I had kicking around. As I want to be able to move if the fiscal opportunity arises, I really don’t want the bines to wrap the porch railings too tightly. Side shoots I can untwist later, but the main shoot needs to avoid being woven through the wooden structures – I can lower the line and gently coil the bines on the buckets if need be to move.
Two days later, the lines already needed extending as these hungry gals climb for the sky:
They are starting to take hold solidly in their buckets. They will soon be ready for some ground cover in the form of creeping thyme and oregano.
I noticed that one plant (a Goldings) had a single leaf well-chewed up by some itty critter, but no sign of the critter. There are no signs of mildews, root rot, or other possible bugs. Nutrients from the M-G dirt are still holding strong – I’ll probably dose a little fertilizer near the end of the month.
I also noticed that there was a 1.25″ hole extending into the dirt on my last bucket (Cascade #2). It’s possible that my neighbor bored the hole with the garden hose (he just told me that he’s watered lightly a couple of times…but he can be rather uncoordinated when he’s drunk – which is most evenings), but it extended past where I could reach with my finger with pretty parallel sides…thinking maybe a mouse…also thinking it may have munched the Golding rhizome that was in that bucket, as it’s the only one that didn’t sprout yet. Seriously debating a thorough flood of the bucket – see if I can flush out the bugger before the bucket drains (if I do, I’ll have to remember to fertilize to replace whatever nutrients I flush out).